To know more about the latest treatment for Varicose veins, visit or call 7026200200
In this Video, Dr. Shashidar explains non-surgical, medical line of treatment for varicose veins. Dr. Shashidar KP is an expert in Vascular and Endovascular surgery.
Exercise helps reduce the chances of you falling prey to a number of diseases and conditions. It is no different when it comes to Varicose Veins. Overall body strengthening and regular physical activity can ensure that your veins maintain good health.
DANGERS OF NOT TREATING VARICOSE VEINS
Varicose veins, though not serious or harmful to the body, if left untreated can cause various problematic conditions. Hence, it is often referred to as a gateway to harmful conditions. A few of the complications it can form are:
1. SUPERFICIAL THROMBOPHLEBITIS:
This condition occurs when the vein undergoes inflammation due to a blood clot in the veins just below the skin. Hence it is termed as superficial thrombophlebitis. It causes the skin to become warm, red, inflamed and tender. It is also a symptom of “Deep Vein Thrombosis”, which is another condition which is formed when varicose veins are left untreated.
Even if there is a small cut on the varicose vein, it sometimes has the potential of turning serious. Since the varicose veins are located near the feet, they have the same blood pressure as that of the arterial blood pressure (the main artery which pumps blood from the heart to the rest of the body). This is done by the body to counteract the effect of gravity. Therefore because of this pressure in the veins, the situation can complicate.
3. VENOUS ECZEMA:
The skin around the varicose veins becomes very dry and itchy. This phenomenon is believed to occur because of fluid leaking into the surrounding tissue because of the increased pressure in the veins. The itching is the result of the reaction between the immune system and the leaking fluid.
4. VENOUS PIGMENTATION:
This pigmentation is generally brown and seen around the ankles. It occurs when the blood leaks out of the varicose veins into the surrounding tissue.
Ignoring treatment for varicose veins leads to open sores (ulcers) being formed. These ulcers cause a degree of discomfort to the patient and if left untreated has a chance of worsening especially around the ankle.
How to prevent varicose veins –
Exercises to prevent varicose veins –
Foods that help in the prevention of varicose veins –
Given below are a few simple exercises that you can follow to help prevent the onset of varicose veins:
walking to prevent varicose veins
Walk to prevent varicose veins
1. WALKING: It is the most easiest method of keeping varicose veins at bay. By walking, the muscles (chiefly that of the legs) are active, thereby improves circulation of the blood. This the blood from pooling in the leg.
cycling to prevent varicose veins
Cycle your way out of varicose veins
2. PEDALLING: It is a very specific activity for preventing or reducing varicose veins. Since it focuses on building the leg muscles, it consequently helps the veins to increase circulation in the leg, thereby preventing it from pooling. There are two methods to this exercise:
Lying flat on the ground and performing pedalling action with feet off the ground. The higher the legs are off the ground the more increase in circulation seen.
Cycling on a track or even in the gym, helps the body from forming varicose veins.
3. LEG RAISES: Lifting each leg, perpendicular to your body while lying down flat on the ground causes the blood to transfer from your feet to your thighs thus greatly improving blood circulation. Hence, by doing this exercise, an individual is keeping the blood flowing thereby stopping the onset of varicose veins.
4. FLEXING KNEES AND ANKLES: Flexing your knees and ankles improves blood circulation and prevents varicose veins from settling in. By bringing up one knee at a time to your chest and holding, it prevents the blood from pooling in the legs. In addition, while holding the knee in that position, roll your ankles around a few times so as to prevent the leg muscles from relaxing.